Q: I smell gas. What should I do?
A: Natural gas smells like rotten eggs. If you smell natural gas in your home, here’s what you should do:
If you smell a faint natural gas odor:
- First make sure all gas appliances and the burners on your stove are turned completely off.
- Open windows –top and bottom– and wait a few minutes to let gas escape.
- Then check the pilot lights of your gas appliances (furnace, range, water heater, etc).
- If you can’t find the source, call your local gas utility to report the gas odor, or call us now at 972-672-8616.
If you smell a strong gas odor:
- Do not use any devices that might create a spark. The spark could ignite the gas.
- Quickly extinguish all embers and flames including cigarettes, candles, fires.
- Leave your home immediately and take others with you.
- If you smell a strong odor of natural gas, leave and call your gas utility to report the odor.
- Never try to locate a gas leak yourself